Friday, January 24, 2014

Southwest Breakfast Burrito

I love days where my husband doesn't have to go into work. He works at a bank and usually gets one full day off every week. I always cherish these mornings, just lounging in bed, and being lazy. But the best thing is, I have time to make him a tasty breakfast!

This week for our fun breakfast I entered the kitchen not really knowing what I wanted to make. I peered inside out fridge and saw so many left overs. A little bit of carne asada from tacos last week, some sweet potato from sunday dinner, half a zucchini from my pasta dish last week. I decided the best way to use up all these yummy ingredients was to make a tasty breakfasty burrito.

The way i usually cook is to look at what I have on hand, and kinda just throw it all together and usually something really tasty happens. And that was my exact approach for this burrito. I would probably never make this burrito the same way again, just because it all depends on what is readily available to me at the time. Something you will learn about me is that I am so not the type of person to run out to the store for one or two ingredients to complete a recipe. I will improvise and tweak things so that it fits what I already have in my pantry. It saves a lot in the budget department and also makes cooking just a little more interesting.

So I will give you the generic recipe for my Breakfast Burritos, and I will also include different things I could include next time.



Southwest Breakfast Burrito

Serves 6

Ingredients

Tortillas (We like the High Fiber Whole Wheat Ole brand)
1 tsp olive oil
4-5 Eggs
1/4 cup skim milk (any milk will do)
6 oz. cooked meat (I used carne asada, but it would also be great with leftover chicken)
6 oz. cooked potato (I used sweet potato, but any kind will do)
1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 zucchini, chopped into quarters
2 cloves of garlic, minced
4 small sweet peppers, chopped (if using a regular sweet pepper, use half of 1 big pepper)
1/2 onion, minced
1/2 avocado
1 roma tomato
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions
Start by heating your olive oil in a large skillet on med-high heat. Add the zucchini and onion and peppers and let soften for 3-5 minutes. Add your garlic, salt and pepper, black beans, meat and potatoes. Let all of this cook together and get warmed through for about 2 minutes. Meanwhile crack your eggs in a bowl and add milk and whisk together. Add your eggs to the hot skillet and begin scrambling the eggs. Watch closely, and while your eggs are cooking, chop your tomatoes and avocado into small cubes, combine in a bowl with some  more salt and pepper.

Once your eggs are done cooking, remove from heat and fill a tortilla with the egg mixture, top mixture with tomato and avocado. You may also add cheese, sour cream, salsa or hot sauce at this point.


Roll up burrito style and you're good to go!

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment